Posted on January 14, 2021 7:00 PM by Admin
Everyone has different preferences when it comes to transportation, but at one time or another everyone is a pedestrian. Whether you’re a concerned resident, a parent or a caregiver, you want to do everything you can to make sure you, your loved ones and your neighbors can enjoy walking safely in your community.
Here are some sidewalk safety tips you can implement:
As a homeowner:
- Trash or trash cans should not be placed on the sidewalk as that would create a potential hazard for pedestrians, bicyclists, or runners.
- Keep pets on a leash while outdoors or in a secure fenced area.
As a pedestrian:
- Be visible at all times. Wear bright clothing during the day, and wear reflective materials or use a flashlight at night.
- Watch for cars entering or exiting driveways, or backing up in parking lots.
- Be alert. Walkers wearing headphones or using a cell phone might not hear a car horn.
- Be aware of others who may be distracted and speak up when you see someone who is in danger.